Saturday, February 23, 2008

Make up rituals

A friend confides that her mind is filled with thoughts of where she’s gone wrong. It is often impossible to stop thinking about him. This is why I tell my friend that she must take a strategic approach. She must make up rituals if necessary. I tell her to carry a bag around and every time she thinks about him, she should take a rock from the ground, the biggest rock she can find, and put it in. Before long she’ll be stooped over from the effort of dragging a ratty plastic bag full of rocks behind her, and who wants that? “This is essentially what you’re doing to yourself,” I tell her. “You’ll be surprised how anxious you’ll be to unload all that weight.”

I have lots of useful advice like this.

The thing is, the thing is I can hardly invite anyone over anymore because of all these boulders.

No comments: